This is a case study I worked on with a team of three people for one of my graduate courses. We were tasked with evaluating and redesigning a section of the Northwest Film Forum's website. The Northwest Film Forum is a nonprofit film and arts center located in Seattle, and their website showcases local films and offers resources for people looking to become filmmakers.
The business goal: Increase traffic to the filmmaking page.
Our user goals: Learn how to get started in filmmaking, connect with others interested in filmmaking, and have access to free or affordable resources and filming equipment.
Role: Content strategist, User researcher
Timeline: March - June 2017
Project type: Group project for graduate course
I interviewed four people who fit our user group to figure out what kind of filmmaking content and resources they would be looking for online.
Opportunities for improvement
Online resources could be easier to locate. The user could feel really overwhelmed at certain parts because there is so much information to learn and they might not have enough time to search through everything on the internet.
Some resources could be providing the user information on who to contact and a simplified database of information about filmmaking, so the user can find everything they need in one place.
By creating an online community of people who are interested in filmmaking, the user can feel more confident getting started as a filmmaker.
Our goal with the content audit was to determine the effectiveness of the Filmmaking section of NWFF's website by using the following criteria: Is it up to date? Is it findable? Does it use clear language? Is it scannable and readable?
From the results, my team and I determined the following:
I completed a competitive analysis of three websites that were similar to the Northwest Film Forum; The Toronto International Film Festival, Sundance Institute, and Rotten Tomatoes.
On my first iteration I designed the full landing page for the Filmmaking section. I included all of the elements from the earlier wireframes. My final project only required low-fidelity wireframes so everything from here on was completed on my own.
After revisiting this project a few months later, I noticed that the way the elements were organized didn't make much sense and I also wanted to change up the look. I felt that it didn't look very professional, so people might not trust the website.
This was my second iteration. I only designed above the fold and included some of the elements from the earlier wireframes.
After getting feedback on this design, I learned that this page still resembles a lower fidelity wireframe so I went back to designing to begin to elevate the look and feel.
This is my third and final version for this project. I revisited this a couple months after my second iteration. I created the full landing page, going off of the elements I had in my first and second versions.
I wanted the landing page to look modern, trustworthy, and full of resources to offer users. I added a minimal color palette and typography to put the focus on the content.
Since this was a class project, there was no budget and not much time to complete everything. My team and I made sure to work as efficiently as we could by assigning each person tasks to be responsible for. We had multiple check points as a group where we came together and shared notes on what we had completed, and incorporated them into our final project presentation. We were able to help each other out if someone got stuck, and see the different outcomes of our research.
After conducting user research to learn more about the audience for Northwest Film Forum, I created an updated landing page for the filmmaking section. By creating a minimal color palette and focusing on the content, users will be much more likely to achieve their goals of understanding the basics of filmmaking and having access to affordable and free resources.